Given an opportunity, many customers will provide their email address before purchasing. Whether it's to learn more about your brand, to be notified of new products, or to request a discount, it's important to provide interested customers with an opportunity to submit this information. The subsequent email campaigns that this information allows will help drive retention and increase customer engagement.
This guide will walk you through creating your first collection modal with some assistance from the prebuilt Email Modal Collection campaign.
Find your collection campaign
You can customize the default Email Modal Collection campaign to start identifying your customers. To locate and edit this campaign:
- In your Zaius account, navigate to Campaigns.
- Use the search bar to locate the Email Modal Collection campaign.
- Click the name of the campaign.
- Select the pencil icon on the Email Collection touchpoint.
When, where, and who settings
In the Pages accordion, select where you want this content to appear.
- The page URLs can match an exact set of text or simply contain a certain string of characters. Contains is typically sufficient for most use cases since many URLs contain information like query parameters that differ between visitors and customers.
- You can select to Show or Hide on a specific set of pages.
- Select the Add option to save your selected page.
- To remove a previous selection, select the trash icon next to the page's information.
In the Triggers accordion, choose when you want this content to appear.
- Display immediately when the page loads: The content is shown to the customer as soon as they visit one of the selected pages. If this option is enabled, the other triggers will be disabled to prevent repeat showings.
- Display after X: The content is shown to the customer after the allotted time.
- Display on X% page scroll: The content is shown to the customer after they scroll a certain percentage of the page.
- Display on exit intent: The content is shown to the customer when their mouse leaves the active window, indicating that they may intend to leave the page.
In the Constraints accordion, choose how often you want this content to appear.
- Limit to X displays per X (time range) per customer: Limit customers from seeing too much content in a single time period (e.g. once per week).
- Limit to X displays total per customer: Limit customers from seeing the content more than X number of times in total (e.g. 3 times in total).
- Show on mobile (not recommended): Determine the content's availability on mobile devices.
Note: The Show on mobile setting is disabled by default and is not recommended due to a Google policy. While Google considers this content appropriate in some instances (e.g. Cookie acknowledgments), it's generally discouraged. For this reason, your company's SEO may be negatively impacted if you enable this setting. Learn more here.
Design the modal
The default modal is set up to collect the first name, last name, and email as required fields. To edit these fields, click them to reveal the Details tab. This tab allows you to modify the format, spacing, links and other element-specific settings. Learn more about modal design in this guide.
The default modal directly subscribes customers to the Newsletter list unless otherwise updated.
Main vs. Confirmation Design
When your content contains a form and the form doesn't redirect to another page via the Submit Button's success action, you will have the ability to toggle between Main and Confirmation designs. The main design is what your customers will see when the content is first displayed. The confirmation design is what they will see once they successfully submit the form.
In addition to the Desktop and Mobile views available within the editor, you can preview the pop-up or form on one of your website pages. All triggers will be active during the preview, while all constraints will be ignored. To preview the content before going live:
- In the upper right of the editor click Preview.
- Enter a page URL to use for the preview. Zaius will check the page you've selected against the rules you've set up in the Pages accordion so please ensure it is a valid page.
- Select Generate Preview.
You can also share the link that is generated if you want to send it to someone else or to try it on another browser. This link will work for 24 hours.
To make the modal available to your website visitors:
- In the upper-right click Save.
- In the upper-left select the campaign's name from the breadcrumb menu.
- In the upper-right click Go Live.