Zaius can be used to push real-time messaging to your web and mobile customers, even if they are not currently on your site.
- HTTPS: Your website must be using HTTPS. Without HTTPS, your customers cannot subscribe to web push notifications. This is a limitation imposed by web browsers.
- Google Developer Account for Firebase: For Google Chrome web push, you must register for a free Google Developer Account in order to request the web push Sender ID and Server Key used to allow Zaius to send notifications on your behalf.
- Installation: If your website is not a Shopify site, you will need to be able to install two files in the root of your website in order to enable web push. These files are required by Google Chrome. If your website is a Shopify site, you will need permission to install a Zaius App instead.
Google Chrome Authorization
Create a Firebase project in the Google Firebase console. Once the project is created, go straight to the Settings > Cloud Messaging tab to get your Server Key and Sender ID for later.
Creating a Web Push Integration
The configure the Web Push integration:
- In your Zaius account, select the Account Settings icon from the main navigation bar.
- In the sidebar, select Integrations under the Data Management section.
- Locate and select the Web Push card to reveal its details.
- Select New Web Push Site and provide the requested information outlined in more detail below.
Step 1 - Website Setup
All fields on this step are required:
- Name: The display name for this integration. You will see this name any time you are selecting your integration for use in Zaius.
- Short Identifier: An identifier used primarily for internal reference and event generation. It cannot be changed once saved.
- External Name: The website name displayed to end-users (e.g. Customers). This may be shown in notification settings depending on the browser and operating system. This should match your brand, not necessarily your URL.
- Website URL: The base URL of the website. For example, if your website address is https://example.website/home/, your base URL is https://example.website.
- Notification Icon URL: The URL of the default icon for all push notifications sent from this integration. Either click the upload button to have Zaius host the image or manually specify the URL of an existing image (Must be HTTPS).
Click Next Step to continue.
Step 2 - Configure Google Chrome
Click the switch to enable Google Chrome, then enter the Sender ID and Server Key from your Firebase Project:
- Sender ID: The unique number assigned to your Firebase project. This can be found in the Cloud Messaging tab of the Firebase console Settings pane.
- Server Key: The server key that authorizes Zaius to send Chrome push messages on your behalf. This can be found in the Cloud Messaging tab of the Firebase console Settings pane.
Read more about the Sender ID and Server Key in the Firebase documentation.
Click Save & Continue to validate your configuration and continue to the next step.
Step 3 - Customize the Experience
Customize the customer's opt-in experience. Click through the tabs to configure the panel that will be displayed to individuals who haven't subscribed to web push notifications.
Under the gear tab, you have the following options:
- Position: The location of the panel on the screen.
- Show Delay: The amount of time to wait before showing the panel.
- Popup Frequency: The minimum time between automatic popups of the panel. This is specific to the subscription panel and controls how often it will ask for permission to send notifications to the customer if they don't interact with it.
- Minimize Delay: The amount of time to wait before automatically minimizing the panel.
- Cancel Duration: The minimum time to wait before showing the panel after it has been canceled.
Return to this step at any time to customize the panel.
Click Save & Continue when you are finished.
Step 4 - Install & Verify
If you're configuring web push for your Shopify site, click Shopify and follow the instructions to authorize the Zaius App to serve the required files on your site.
If your website is not using Shopify, download the files and upload them to the ROOT of the website. For example, if your website is https://example.website/, then the manifest and notification service files should be available at https://example.website/manifest.json and https://example.website/zaius-notification-service.js respectively.
Once the files are in place on your website or Zaius is authorized in Shopify, click Verify & Continue. The Zaius App will check for the files on your website and let you know if they are installed correctly.
Step 5 - Go Live
If you are ready to enable web push now, toggle the Automatically initialize web push on this site to the "On" position and click Finish. If you are performing a manual web push integration or wish to enable web push at a later time, you can click finish without enabling the automatic integration. Return to this step at any time to change your website's behavior.
Custom Subscribe Experience
To customize the web push subscription experience beyond the default options, please check out the Web Push API integration resources.