With the web push integration enabled, you can create and send personalized push notifications to your customers through their web browser.
The main difference between web push and other communication channels is the ease of sign-up. No email address, tracking cookie, or other personal data is required. A single click is enough to complete everything, which makes it significantly easier to send notifications to interested subscribers.
Collect web push subscribers
To communicate with customers via web push, you will need to start collecting opt-in events. Similar to email opt-ins, a customer's consent is what determines your reachable audience via the channel. Once enabled, an opt-in prompt will appear for site visitors.
Confirm opt-in events
Customer opt-ins will send an event to Zaius. The included information confirms the customer's web push subscription and consists of analytics and web push values. To see an example event of this come in, you can refer to the event inspector within your Zaius Account. Values to look for in the event inspector:
- Event Type = push
- Action = add_push_token
- User Agent Information (UA) is included
A token for Chrome will live on the customer profile once a customer opts-in. Locate the Chrome Push Tokens field on a profile to review the token value for that customer.
Additionally, you will be able to see the web push events in the Activity feed of the customer profile.
Include in a campaign
Now that you have customers opted into the web push communication channel, you can include web push touchpoints in your campaigns and send messages to customers.
Review web push audience
After creating or adding a segment to a campaign, the reachable web push audience can be reviewed next to the Web Push icon in the segment card.
A customer is reachable if their web push token value is known. When a customer opts out of the web push channel, the token will be removed from their customer profile, and a “remove token” event will be captured. This behavior means you can segment based on push token attributes if you'd like to specifically target web push customers or create a campaign that only uses web push messages. For example:
Create web push touchpoint
With your campaign audience determined, you are ready to create a web push touchpoint.
To create a web push touchpoint:
- Navigate to Campaigns.
- Select or create a One-Time or Behavioral campaign.
- Click on the Edit icon of a campaign touchpoint to access the editor.
- If this is a new campaign or touchpoint, select the web push channel from the prompt. If this is an omnichannel campaign, check out this resource to add additional channels to an existing touchpoint.
- Expand the Push Delivery menu accordion and select the display name of your website from the Deliver Push To dropdown menu. The browsers associated with the push will auto-populate with Chrome; however, you can manually disable individual browsers if desired.
- Review the following options:
- Load Template: Use a previously created message as the basis for this touchpoint.
- Name: Determine how you will be able to identify your content within Zaius.
- Variables: Add liquid or custom HTML to customize the push notification further. Please reach out to your Customer Success Manager (CSM) if you need assistance with that.
- Input the message you'd like customers to receive in the text area below the message's name and content ID. Brevity is key here and the message should be no more than 40 characters long.
- Additional options can also be reviewed by scrolling to the bottom of the editor and clicking +Chrome options.
Chrome's additional options allow you to further customize the notification as well as override default settings determined during the setup of the web push integration. These options are:
Title: The headline used when displaying the message to recipients. This value overrides the title set in the editor above. Until additional browsers are supported, overriding this value is unnecessary.
Icon URL: The image displayed inline with the message. This value overrides the image set during the setup of the integration, which is typically the brand's logo.
Image URL: An image displayed below the message. This value is optional.
Click URL: The destination following a click of the message's content.
Automatically add UTM parameters: These parameters allow Zaius to track interactions with the message. If disabled, parameters would need to be manually incorporated into the Click URL to ensure that the same level of tracking is achieved.
Require Interaction: This setting determines whether or not the message must be manually dismissed. Unless it is explicitly enabled, notifications viewed on a customer's desktop will be dismissed after approximately 20 seconds.
- Preview and test your touchpoint. The Preview function allows you to review the touchpoint on-screen, while the Test function will enable you to send a test through the touchpoint channel instead. Both options are available in the upper-right when viewing a touchpoint within the editor.
- Select the campaign's name from the breadcrumb menu, then the Save option at the top-right.
- Select the Go Live option at the top-right when the campaign is customer-ready.
To review the performance metrics associated with a web push touchpoint:
- Navigate to Campaigns.
- Locate and click on the campaign containing the desired touchpoint.
- Locate the campaign touchpoint containing the web push and click on the Eye icon to expand the performance metrics view. Review each metric in more detail here.